Thursday, May 16, 2013

Thursday, May 16 – Leiden, Netherlands


View of Leiden from my room at the Ibis Hotel

I flew back to the Amsterdam airport and got my luggage out of storage (bloody expensive, but worth it), then proceeded by train to the university town 20 minutes south of the airport: Leiden. I only wish it wasn’t cold and raining, as Leiden looks like an interesting place to explore, and may be a better base than Amsterdam. I stayed at a large and very corporate hotel, the Ibis—nice, simple and very clean room, with an incredible view of the town. I walked around in spite of the blustery weather; Netherlanders have perfected the art of riding a bicycle while holding an umbrella. Soaking wet, I passed up a Swedish place with fish dishes, and a pannekokken specialty restaurant to opt for a hole-in-the-wall place called Hot Wok. I had gone too many days without Chinese food; in this place, you chose your dish and the chef cooked it for you right there. It was heavenly.


See more images of Amsterdam and Italy on my website gallery page

No comments:

Post a Comment