Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday, May 13 - Pompeii


Pompeii's main square
Breakie at the hotel--a pretty good one, of which I shall make a habit. Then it’s on board the circum train for the bone-achingly long ride to Pompeii (it really wasn’t far, but the train stops at every tiny station on the line, stretching what would have been a half-hour ride into over an hour). I really didn't know if I wanted to make the effort to go to Pompeii, as I thought, "just more Herculaneum", but I was extremely glad when I got there. Spoke to a nice couple on the train--from Denver, where it was still winter when they left more than a week ago. They had gone to Amalfi, down the coast, and said it was terribly crowded and not much fun, so I scratched it off my list.

Vesuvius in the distance
Pompeii was and is an archeological wonder. Fantastic job of clearing centuries of hardened stone-like ash from a town that was smothered in a matter of hours 79 years after Jesus’ birth. This was a city--20,000 people wiped out just like that. The site is about twice or three times that of Herculaneum. The stone-paved streets still show the ruts from hundreds of chariot wheels.




Apparently the Pompeiians had no idea Vesuvio was a volcano, since it hadn't erupted in 1200-1500 years. A serious earthquake a few years prior to the 79AD eruption did some damage to the town's structures, and the repair work was left half-finished when buried in a mountain of ash. Much as I’d like to believe the official "instanteous death" line, the two plaster casts of the victims encased in glass in the market square do not look happy--they look in agony. I later found out they had died in the same way as the victims in the boathouses of Herculaneum: the pyroclastic flow swept over the town, causing suffocation. 

The first breath brought in superheated ash, which caused the lungs to fill with water. The second breath turned the inhaled ash to cement, and...there was no third breath, as the throat constricted and closed off the airways, so the citizens of Pompeii died very much like drowning victims.

Those ruts are from thousands of chariot wheels






Once again, I was astounded by Roman engineering, from the aquaduct and water system that flooded the streets every day to wash down the animal droppings to the large stones set in the roadways (conviently sized and spaced to accommodate passing chariots, all of which were built to the same specifications).


The famous faun (the original is in Naples) from the House of the Faun

On the return train, I was confounded by a stiuation. When the doors open to board the train, riders step into an empty entry compartment, and either go left or right to the compartments with seats. An older Chinese man and young girl had loaded on an enormous cart covered in plastic into the entry compartment, along with several large bags, also wrapped in plastic. When it came to their stop, they wrestled the cart off along with a couple of the smaller bags, and left the other large plastic bags on the train. Immediately my thoughts went to “bomb alert!”. As casually as possible, I moved away through the compartment to the next standing area (pa GAWK!—yes, I am a chicken)—which was also full of mysterious plastic bags. It was then I realized that people left their garbage on the train.

View of the harbor from Sorrento
Back to Sorrento after a full day, I ate at a perfectly terrible restaurant near the hotel--la felice. The calamari was adequate, but the service was impossible--I felt like the waiter was completely ignoring me. Wait, he WAS ignoring me, in favor of serving the Italian families first. No tip for him! I don’t recall how it was in Umbria or Rome the last time I was in Italy, but in Sorrento, you have to insist on paying people at the end of a meal; no one actually expects a tip and they seem genuinely surprised and grateful to get one. Quite charming.

See more images of Sorrento, Pompeii and Herculaneum on my website gallery page

No comments:

Post a Comment