Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday May 17- home again home again, jiggity jig


A very LARGE dinosaur skeleton in the Chicago airport

Breakfast at the hotel was overpriced (15 euro) and blah. I made my way back to the airport, suffered through the usual wait and got an Economy Plus seat for the eight-hour-plus to Chicago. I managed to sleep a little, which was good, as I was bumped three times in Chicago, and spent several hours wandering from gate to gate. This is the inevitable bad part of flying stand-by. Finally got a middle Economy seat in the back of a plane; exhausted, I told my friendly neighbor that I had to sleep. When I woke up, he had saved a can of soda for me. That sweet man--very married, two grown kids and a dedicated Mormon—spent the next several hours regaling me with bible passages on his iPhone. It’s not as ghastly as it sounds. He answered a lot of questions for me; for instance, the Mormons DO believe in the devil. Second, married couples can choose to go to the temple to be bound forever, beyond death. So widows and widowers can remarry, but it’s only for “this” lifetime, as the bound spouse will be waiting in the afterlife. Fascinating.


See more images of Sorrento, Pompeii and Herculaneum on my website gallery page

No comments:

Post a Comment