Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day Two: Understanding the Culture—Not


Gandhi Leading his People

The next day, I hired a driver from the hotel for four hours for 650Rp. I asked for a map, and luckily, he took me to a place that became a touchstone for me:  India Travel Organizers (ITO), also in the Channa Market area. Raja Burza, handsome devil, spoke perfect British English, and lined me up with a map. ITO, with offices around India, also organizes trips: Burza ji (that’s MR. Burza to the uninitiated. “ji” also means “yes”, which can get a little confusing) did mention that on ITO trips, you get what you pay for, unlike the 2-star hotels (one of which was downright creepy) passed off as 3-star by Intrepid. True? I don’t know--I have no comparison.

The Kahn Market
After, my hotel-cabbie insisted on taking me to a shopping place I didn’t want to go even though I told him no. He insisted the place I wanted--the Kahn market--wasn’t open yet. Lesson two: arguing is the national sport of India, and if I REALLY didn’t want to go, I would have adopted a harsh and commanding voice, which was totally foreign to me and most Westerners. After being rude to the woman owner of this other place who practically dragged me from one building to another (“no, thank you.” “No, really”. “I really don’t want anything, thank you.” “I have to go now.” “I’m going now”. “No, I’m REALLY not interested.”)--I was learning--I finally got to the Kahn market. There, I found a cool little shop (Vishnu) where I picked up some tops for 350Rp each (about $7). Again, I got lucky—the omnipresent horde of street hucksters I would come to know and dread were missing from the Kahn market, so I was feeling pretty cool. 
Lodhi Garden Restaurant

Lodhi Gardens
The cabbie took me to what was to become one of my favorite places in Delhi for lunch: the Lodhi Garden restaurant, in front of the actual Lodhi Garden with Its beautiful ancient buildings. Back to the hotel for a nap, and it was time for dinner. It was then I discovered the most difficult part of the trip: walking the blocks beyond the hotel to find a restaurant, I was besieged by bicycle rickshaw drivers (“Madam, madam, I can take you to the Metro”); little kids (“Lady, I show you around”), and salesmen on the main shopping street (“Come in and look. No charge for looking. You don’t have to buy anything, just look.”). If I hesitated for more than a few seconds at any restaurant front, insistent people who wanted my business surrounded me. Of note: the raging poverty, cardboard shack homes, physically disabled and malformed beggars I was warned about were seldom visible anywhere I went here in Delhi and in India; something good has really happened here. Raja Burza told me there were social programs for people in dire straits, and school, including uniforms and books are free to all children. However, some families prefer to (successfully) work the soft heart and inability to say “no” of Westerners, and take the kids out of school to beg or sell trinkets—“miserable for the future of India” he said. Overwhelmed, I hurried back to the hotel and ate a wrap I bought at the airport. 

To see specific reviews of guides/travel companies, places to eat, stay and shop in India, see my custom guide to the golden triangle on GoGoBot.

No comments:

Post a Comment