Monday, May 15, 2023

Writers Strike!


 By now, most of us have heard about the Writer's Guild of America strike in Hollywood, all about the mind-freaking profits made by the streaming services like HBO, Netflix and Paramount and the dwindling pay of those who write the scripts. The streaming services have more deviltry in the works: hiring writers to write the initial scripts of a series, then using AI to write the rest.

This isn't a new problem, just a more public one. When I first started out as a writer, I was able to make a living with my travel books for Moon because I was able to negotiate an upfront payment against residuals. Also in the contract: the right to write future editions. After 2010, publishers figured they could save money by buying my words outright and hiring in-house staff to do the rewrites. No more contracts, no more residuals, no more long-term relationship. We refer to "the good old days" as pre-2010.

I've started a petition to present to the Writers Guild. Please sign it if you wish to support fair pay for fair work: https://chng.it/SFmdKyVZqb

No comments:

Post a Comment