Monday, September 6, 2021

We’re in the Country Now! Oh Yes.

 

Wait, how can the sun be setting already? It's only 5:30 and I'm miles from my next stop!

Whoops.

Na’alehu, a charming village surrounded by garden-like growth everywhere, is close to the southernmost point in the US. On the map, my next stay looked like a nice little subdivision, easy to navigate. Maybe because it was dark, a little harder. I put my faith in Google, and followed the single lane asphalt road out into the jungle for a mile, but my faith was shaken when I was instructed to turn off onto what looked like a dirt driveway. “This can’t be right,” I told Ms. Direction, the Google voice, and proceeded to drive up the road looking for a real street. With street signs. Finally, I turned around and allowed Ms. D to guide me back to the dirt driveway. “Continue for one-half mile.” Okaaaay.

Better in Sunlight

The road was rutted, weed-filled and occasionally patched with concrete that was around 3 inches higher than the dirt part. But in a half mile, there it was - a brand new three-story home out in the bush. I parked, and was hauling my suitcase up the dozen steps when I was met by the local inspector, a deaf, blind, ancient Cocker spaniel. He was far more interested in my car, and appeared to be surprised there was a human to go with it. Anyway, the stay (Lava Java Inn) was new, comfortable, with a bed complete with bedposts as big as your head.

My only difficulty was a type of shower I’d seen exactly once in my life. I was so tired I failed to notice the instructions on how to work it, and spent 15 minutes reinventing the wheel. Finally, showered, fed and happy, I crawled into the massive bed.

View from the back deck - miles of dense forest and lava

 

The next day, I went to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment