Tuesday, October 9, 2018

ROAD TRIP! The End....


Even though there's disappointment sometimes, it's better to know. My fantasy, or I should say, my idealized version of southern Oregon as a possible refuge has been greatly modified. There was a lot to be said for all the places we visited. It IS beautiful country. The shifting light, flowing mist, wild rocky shore, peaceful farms - the neat, sweet small towns of Albany and Ashland; the towns in general are smaller than the megalopolis of San Sacramento Jose, with much less traffic, and less stress. The people are so darn nice! Approachable, helpful... It all just seems much more unspoiled than here, though I don't know how long that will last.


Albany Library
AND, it was gray a lot of the time. Not Bay Area-gray, which seems back-lit, but a much darker shade. When I woke up to the light of a California morning, I was...grateful. I didn't realize how addicted I am to that brilliant golden light. Since I lived briefly in England when I was young, I didn't think this would be a concern. Wrong again.
image: A.N. Smith-Lee

 I think the biggest issue for me was made real when we drove into the Cascades along the Willamette River. It doesn't take a genius to predict that water is the next big issue in central and southern California. I hoped that wouldn't be the case farther north. It may be true MUCH farther north, but southern Oregon doesn't look to be better off than we are here in terms of aridity AND flammability. Western Oregon is burning too. It's downright sad to see what we've done to our beautiful planet.
image: A.N. Smith-Lee

I'm sure the great state of Oregon will be delighted to hear that there is one less family coming to Californicate them.








No comments:

Post a Comment