Saturday, October 12, 2013

Getting There was Half - Fun

Christ parachuting to earth in Gaudi's Sagrada Familia Cathedral.
There were times when I would have opted for this mode of escape myself...

My dear neighbor John actually volunteered to give me a ride to the airporter at 4:45am, and while waiting for the airport bus I struck up a conversation with an attractive man who was off to Greece to visit his entertainer girlfriend and a fascinating, intelligent and charismatic older woman--we all decided to meet at Denny’s on our return for a grand slam breakfast.

The flight from SFO to Newark was an exercise in compression. We flew in United's new 737s, which, if it can be believed, are even tighter than the old crates we flew in before. I got jammed in the middle between a former geologist who was on his way to Stuttgart to research a book he was writing about Porsche motorcars and a young woman who slept the entire way.

A four-hour layover in Newark, but I was lucky this time—I got all my flights, though those first- and business-class seats that were available in the first few months of my travel are a distant dream. United has tightened up considerably, and the flights now are booked to the max; I consider myself fortunate that a few undesirable seats remain for employees and folks like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment